Monday, April 14, 2008

Cooking at the Peer Support and Wellness Center

I'll be presenting at my first workshop at the Georgia Mental Health Consumer conference this August. It will be about the Peer Support and Wellness Center and what we're all about. I decided to make a video showing what we do rather than just talking about it and passing out literature. We'll do that, too, of course, but I think a video will give people a much better idea. I will be showing segments on this blog as I finish them. I'll also be making a DVD and passing it out with our literature as we promote the Wellness Center in the community.

This video is the segment on our cooking class. We cook every Friday evening, and it has become a warm, inviting event more than a class. Becca, a peer staff at the Center, is the main facilitator, and it was her project from the beginning. We also have a chef, Donna, also a peer, come in to instruct the class.

Needless to say, it is one of our most popular activities!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you take reservations?? Just kidding! Looks like an awesome time togther....and it is dinner time. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad Kevin has a place there! It was exciting to see him in this video.
sue

robin said...

Simply wonderful and the man with the broom is cool!

Peace,

Robin

Anonymous said...

What a great video! Oh my god, the place is BEAUTIFUL! I really want to come see it when I come back to Atlanta in June... I'm so happy that this is happening :D